- Basic Electrochemistry
- Design Parameters/Components
- Battery System Design
- Factors Affecting Performance
- Comparison/Electrochemical Couples
- Safety Mechanisms
- Usage and Maintenance
- Activation, Handling of Electrolyte
- Failure Modes
- Thermal Batteries
- High Voltage Power Systems
Course Description: Batteries are probably the least understood critical component in any power system. The knowledge and experience gained during this Class will enhance the end users' overall perception of batteries and familiarity with the unique attributes of Silver-Zinc and Lithium-ion batteries. The format emphasizes a "hands-on experience" with an emphasis on the practical, rather than theoretical aspects of battery technology. Each participant will build his/her own Silver-Zinc or Lithium-ion battery cell, and discharge it in the laboratory.
Who Should Attend: This workshop is designed for engineers, scientists, technicians or others involved in the selection, activation, handling, testing, maintenance and installation of high energy-density batteries.
EaglePicher's Yardney Division is a leader in the advancement of high-power and high-energy, primary, rechargeable cell and battery designs. Our R&D capabilities allow us to continually push the boundaries of performance and safety in our quest for improvement. Located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, the Yardney Division is home to 24 engineers and scientists who maintain close collaborations with research universities and startup companies in the “Northeast Battery Technology Corridor,” which also includes Navy research and government technology centers. We contribute our expertise in mission-enabling new products for defense, aviation, underwater, UAVs, space, and directed energy system/weapons applications.
Registration and Fees: $550.00 includes all required materials, notebooks, daily luncheons and a welcome reception on the first night.
Space is limited. Please call or email Lois Kisch at 401-471-6580, ext. 314 to reserve a seat.
Accommodations: A limited block of rooms has been reserved at the SpringHill Suites, 14 James P. Murphy Ind. Highway West Warwick, RI 02893 at the special rate of $99/night plus applicable taxes. Click here to make reservations. The deadline for booking is 5/1/19.
EaglePicher is not responsible for any hotel cancellation charges, penalties, or billing discrepancies.
Providence, RI Airport (PVD) is approximately 8 miles from our facility.
- Alex Karpinski - Class Director
- Dr. Arthur Dobley - Emerging Chemistries
- Dr. Rob Gitzendanner - Battery Applications, Considerations & Requirements
- Dr. Mario Destephen - Lithium Primary Technology & Products
- Frank Puglia - Li-ion Technology & Products
- Andrew Kessler - Battery Management Software and Electronics (BMS)
- Alex Buonanno - Li-ion Safety
- Stu Santee - Li-ion Design & Performance
- Susan Russell - Silver Batteries (Secondary)
- Jim Dick - Silver Technology (Primary)
- DharmeshBhakta -Thermal Batteries
- Dr. Karthik Ramaswami - Medical Batteries
- Mark Rohan - High Voltage Power Systems